Your good health depends on you. Here are some ways you can help yourself and those you love stay healthy.
These guidelines are offered as suggestions only. Your doctor's recommendations may vary.
- Exercise regularly, start with 20 minutes a day, three times a week, aim for 45 minutes of rather vigorous exercise five times a week.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- See your doctor regularly. For checkup guidelines, click on the links at right.
- Play it safe. Use good safety sense in your home and on the road.
- Be ready for an emergency. Take a course in first aid. Learn how to do CPR, especially if anyone in your family is over 65 or at cardiac risk.
- Quit smoking.
- Read. Take time to inform yourself about health and wellness. Get a recipe book on healthy meals.
- Reach out. You don't have to cope with chronic illness or other challenges alone. We can provide you with support resources that can help.
- Give your baby a healthy start. See your doctor for regular prenatal checkups as soon as possible.
- Safeguard your home for poison and accident prevention, especially if toddlers and young children are at home.
- Immunize your children against disease. Keep your tetanus shots up to date.
- Get a flu shot annually if you are at risk.
- Learn to perform self exams, such as breast self-examination, and check for potential cancer warning signs.